Advantages and Disadvantages of WPC Boards
WPC boards have gained popularity as an alternative to natural wood and plywood.
The fact that WPC board manufacturing does not contribute to deforestation forms one of the primary reasons behind its increasing use. The full form of WPC boards is Wood Plastic Composite board.
Its composition is 70% virgin polymer, 15% additive chemical, and 15% wood powder. These boards are widely used in the construction sector for their high strength and durability.
WPC boards are associated with many advantages. Let’s get into details:
Advantages of WPC Boards:
1. Termite resistance: WPC boards make good material for termite-proof furniture. This is one of the main advantages WPC wood offers over natural wood. In addition, these boards make a perfect solution for outdoor applications.
2. Moisture resistance: Unlike conventional building materials, WPC woods are resistant to moisture. They make great material for kitchen and bathroom cabinets where the chances of moisture retention are high.
3. UV rays resistant: WPC boards come in multiple colors. In general, the color of the furniture kept outside fades in heat. WPC boards offer UV rays resistance, making them suitable for exterior applications.
They are widely used in making facades, landscape items, flowerpots, and garden furniture.
4. High durability: Durability is one of the essential benefits offered by WPC boards. They are not affected by rain, chemicals, humidity, and other environmental conditions. They are also easy to use. Conventional tools can be used to fix these boards wherever required.
5. Eco-friendly: WPC wood is biodegradable. It can be 100 percent recyclable with recyclable materials such as wood, agricultural, and plastic waste used in its production.
Also, there is minimal waste generation in the manufacturing process. WPC woods are also reusable, and most of them are available with a buyback guarantee.
You May Also Like: A Brief Market Overview of Wood Plastic Composites
Disadvantages of WPC Boards:
1. WPC boards may mimic natural wood but can be easily identified. Furniture made from WPC board appears like natural wood, but the finishing will not be that high-end. The premium quality natural wooden look cannot be obtained using these boards.
2. WPC boards offer very low resistance to extreme temperatures. Therefore, it affects the application and the production of WPC boards. For example, laser cutters cannot be used to cut the boards as they may burn them.
Similarly, its application in the kitchen should be well thought out as very hot utensils cannot be placed on it.
3. The initial cost is known to be higher than other alternative materials.
WPC Boards Applications and Uses:
The high durability and resistance to extreme temperatures, humidity, and termites make WPC boards suitable for different interior and exterior applications.
Some of the exterior applications of the WPC boards are in the swimming pool, garden furniture, park benches, outdoor paneling, windows, WPC doors, planter boxes, outdoor deck flooring, and prefabrication house.
WPC boards also have interior applications. Some prominent application areas are modular kitchen, wall paneling, wardrobes, window and door frames, bathroom cabinets, railings, office furniture, and industrial section.
WPC boards are also used commercially in advertising. In addition, they are used in making sign boards, exhibition stands, graphics, and display boards.
WPC materials offer good durability and many other benefits. WPC board is an innovative material that can be used to curb the deforestation and wastage that generally occurs from using conventional building materials.
It is a great way to approach sustainability in the construction sector. We are one of the established WPC Sheet Manufacturers with esteemed clientele. We have every type and size of WPC board perfect for commercial and residential use.
Our experts can guide you with the use cases and precautions to be taken while using them. Today, connect with us to get the WPC boards with the best finishing at affordable rates.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. What is a WPC sheet?
A. Wood-plastic composites (WPCs) are composite materials made of wood fiber/wood flour and thermoplastic(s) such as polythene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), or polylactic acid (PLA). In addition to wood fiber and plastic, WPCs can also contain other ligno-cellulosic and/or inorganic filler materials.
Q2. Which is better PVC or WPC?
A. WPC has more versatility in terms of density as compared to PVC. PVC is a costlier option as compared to WPC. WPC has more strength as compared to PVC. WPC is an extremely carpenter-friendly material whereas.
Q3. Is the WPC sheet waterproof?
A. Advance Panels WPC sheet is 100% termite proof, waterproof, borer proof, fire-retardant, high-screw & nail-holding capacity.